Archie Battersbee’s parents have been told they can’t challenge a High Court ruling denying their son’s transfer to a hospice to die.
The 12-year-old boy’s parents applied to the Court of Appeal today, in an attempt to get him out of hospital.
It came after they lost a High Court bid to have him moved to a hospice before his life-sustaining treatment is withdrawn.
But medical experts said there was ‘significant risk’ he could die during the journey.
The Court of Appeal confirmed this evening, shortly after 6.30pm, that permission to appeal had been refused.
His parents have fought a long-running legal battle over the withdrawal of his treatment, which ultimately failed on Wednesday when the European Court of Human Rights refused to intervene.
Their focus then shifted to trying to get their son moved to a hospice, but in a ruling at the High Court this morning, Mrs Justice Theis concluded it was not in Archie’s best interests to be moved.
The boy has been in hospital after being found unconscious by his mother in April at their family home in Southend Essex.
His mum, Hollie Dance, believes he sustained his brain injury after taking part in an online challenge.
Archie is being kept alive by a combination of medical interventions, including ventilation and drug treatments, at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London.
Doctors treating the boy believe he is ‘brain-stem dead’ and will not recover, but his parents disagree.
This is a breaking news story – more to follow.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.