Amazon Prime Day is inching ever closer, and there’s already some momentum building with early deals. July 12th is slated as the start of the two-day sales event, but you can bet on some nice discounts popping up ahead of that date. We may see a slow crescendo of deals building up or the occasional deluge. It’s also likely other retailers will be looking to get into the mix, so keep on the lookout for sales from the likes of Walmart and Target, the latter of which already has a “Deal Days” event planned for the same time period. While Amazon is obviously the star of its own show, it also bears mentioning that Prime Day deals are exclusive to Prime members while competing sales from other retailers are open to all.
In the meantime, we’re compiling the best early Prime Day deals you can get on smart home tech, TVs, streaming devices, and whatever other noteworthy gadgets crop up. Some of the items may not be available for their outright best prices — and others may receive larger discounts once Prime Day proper begins — but, for now, here are some of the best early discounts, sales, and deals on offer.
Echo Show 15 is available right now with a second-gen Echo Show 5 for a grand total of $249.99, the typical asking price of the Echo Show 15. The discounted bundle — which combines the largest and smallest Echo smart displays — saves you $84.99, and you get a 15.6-inch screen for your wall, as well as a 5.5-inch display for your bedside table.
- Here’s another Amazon bundle that includes a second-gen Echo Show 5 smart display, now paired with the Ring Video Doorbell for a bundle price of $84.99 (a combined $100 off). This deal is for Prime members only and probably best for someone just starting out with a smart doorbell who wants an all-in-one solution. The Echo Show can display what the Ring sees right as someone buzzes at your door. Compared to buying the Ring Video Doorbell on its own for the current Prime-exclusive sale price of $74.99, you’re getting the Echo Show 5 for just an extra $10. Read our buying guide on video doorbells.
- For those who want a security system in a box, the second-gen Ring Alarm eight-piece kit is down to $149.99 at checkout for Prime members. This $100 discount drops the price to the lowest it’s been since Black Friday / Cyber Monday last year. The kit includes a base station, keypad, four contact sensors, one motion detector, and a range extender with the option for subscription-based 24/7 monitoring.
currently available on Amazon for $399.99. That’s $130 off the regular price of the Fire TV-equipped set and matches the TV’s best price to date.
- Amazon’s 55-inch Fire TV Omni is on sale for just $299.99 ($260 off) at checkout for Prime members. The TVs aren’t the best in terms of picture quality, but they do offer some native Alexa smarts as well as low input lag for gaming. Just note that, unlike the 65-inch and 75-inch models, the 55-inch configuration doesn’t support Dolby Vision HDR. Read our review.
- For another modest TV option running Amazon’s Fire TV smart interface for streaming, the Toshiba 43-inch C350 is $229.99 on a Lightning Deal for Prime subscribers through Prime Day. It’s a basic TV, but it supports 4K resolution, Dolby Vision HDR, and it’s $100 off.
Deals on Kindle e-readers
- Amazon is selling a refurbished ad-supported Kindle for $79.99. This may not be the fancier Paperwhite model that came out last year, but it’s the latest generation of the standard Kindle — launched in 2019. It’s got a front light for nighttime reading and lengthy battery life, and this refurb saves you $10 while offering a one-year warranty. Read our review.
- The previous-gen, ad-supported Kindle Paperwhite in new condition is down to its lowest price of $69.99 at Amazon in select colors. That’s $60 off from its original price and $70 less than the full price of the newer model from 2021. This one from 2018 may be a bit older, but it’s still more than serviceable with its six-inch backlit screen and waterproofing. Read our review.
Deals on smartphone accessories
The occasional unlocked phone may see a solid discount during Prime Day, but accessory deals will most likely be ripe for the picking (even ahead of Prime Day).
- Totallee is discounting iPhone screen protectors by up to 36 percent through July 10th. It has a selection of tempered glass protectors for iPhone 11, 12, and 13 models ranging in price from $9.99 to $24.99.
- Totallee is also selling its Qi-compatible car charger for $34.50 (about $25 off). It’s your pretty standard mount that attaches to most car air vents.
- Lastly, Totallee’s MagSafe-compatible Hybrid Clear case for the iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, 13 Mini, 13, and 13 Pro is on sale for $22.99 (as much as $16 off).
Deals on services and subscriptions
- New subscribers to Amazon’s Music Unlimited streaming service can get an extended three-month free trial instead of the usual one month. After the trial ends, the price is $9.99 per month or $8.99 for Prime members.
- If you’re a Prime subscriber but have never tried Amazon’s Audible before, you can get an Audible Premium Plus extended trial for three months. That includes unlimited access to podcasts, audiobooks, and Audible originals, which normally runs $14.95 per month and includes a monthly credit towards a premium title. The three-month offer ends July 31st.